The Great Recession: Part One
Mary C. Daly, Associate Director of Research and Group Vice President, discusses the Great Recession (video, 4:48).
- How many jobs were lost from the peak of employment in 2008 to the bottom of employment in mid-2009?
0:00 - 0:17
- Mary describes job losses during the Great Recession as "broad-based." What does this mean?
0:18 - 1:53
- In the skill distribution discussion, which groups experienced unemployment double during the Great Recession? What is it about college-educated workers that Mary characterizes as historic?
1:54 - 2:11
- How many weeks of not working does it take to be counted as "long-term unemployed"? How many months?
2:12 - 3:57
- Name the four labor market factors that distinguish the Great Recession?
- Of the four distinguishing characteristics that Mary describes in the video, which one do you think is the biggest challenge facing policymakers and why?