The SF Fed is looking for exceptional college graduates to join the Economic Research team as Research Associates. Research Associates work with world-class researchers on compelling and influential topics while getting the opportunity to learn about possible career paths.
Who We Are
The Economic Research Department is a center for innovative thinking about all aspects of the domestic and global economy.
- Our research and analysis support the SF Fed’s monetary policy, supervision, and community outreach goals.
- We reach a wide through publications like our FRBSF Economic Letters, which are frequently cited in the media and used as educational resources.
- Our economists work on cutting-edge research and contribute to top academic journals and conferences.
What We Have to Offer
Research Associates (RAs) are 2-year, full-time, salaried employees with full benefits. RAs work closely with economists at the top of their fields on a variety of research questions and real-world policy issues, while developing a toolkit for graduate study and future career paths.
- Apply your undergraduate skills by working with economists on quantitative analysis of economic and financial data; computer programming; preparing briefing and educational outreach materials; and managing financial and economic databases.
- Attend seminars and assist at research conferences where you can meet visiting scholars, and conference participants.
- Continue your learning path and explore professional careers through our tuition reimbursement program and flexible work schedule.
Invitation to Apply
We seek candidates with superior academic records and strong written and oral communication skills. We value different perspectives and welcome candidates from all backgrounds and experience.
Competitive candidates should have at minimum:
- A bachelor’s degree
- A bachelor’s degree in Math, Statistics, or Computer Science with intermediate coursework in Economics or Finance.
We also look for:
- Prior research experience
- Demonstrated interest in economics
- Significant computer programming experience, and familiarity with statistical programming packages such as STATA, R, and MATLAB
Where Will You Go from Here?
Many of our past Research Associates go on to enter competitive graduate programs and find exciting employment in economics or other fields.
Find Out More About Our Research Associate Program
Here’s what some of our former Research Associates say about their experience.
Candidates can find additional information at Fed Econ Jobs and the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco’s Economic Research section, and apply for the position here.
Find us at Glassdoor under RA Program and visit our listing on Handshake.